Monday, October 13, 2014

she was beautiful

She was as beautiful as they described her,
Even more so because she was real, in the flesh, right in front of me.
I had never noticed her, the way she smiled, they way her eyes lit up.
I had always seen her flaws. fat. fat fat fat. bad skin. really bad skin...
I had only heard her flaws, stupid, loser, failure.
I hadn't taken a moment to hear her good qualities.
I had known her for as long as I can remember, 
but I never took the chance to get to know her;
I was always too busy with others.
Always trying to impress others, make sure they like you.
Whilst she was always true to herself.
She was a trooper, a real soldier of her kind. 
She was helpless, but she was strong, and made it through.
I never believed her, believed in her.
I didn't know her, I didn't know what she was capable of.

She was a swan, choosing to play the part of the ugly duckling.
She was harmed and beaten with words.
She wrote, she wrote for hours, for days.
I never read anything she wrote.
She was funny, when she wasn't trying too hard.
She was creative, and she was talented in what she put her mind to.
She treated her friends with respect, and her enemies with forgiveness.
She let people be who they were, even when that meant getting hurt by them.
She understood them, how they strive to please.
Today i decided it was time to meet her, the real her.
She understood me, and why I took so long to meet her.
She knew I was scared, for she was too, to come face to face with the reality.
I walked to my room and looked into my mirror.
Surprised by what I saw, I realized they were right.
She was as beautiful as they described her.
Even more so because she was real, in the flesh, right in front of me.
She was beautiful, on the inside and the outside.
And she was me this entire time.