Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Knock on Your Door - poems by jus

Here is a poem I wrote while I was away in Israel, after meeting the soldiers.

The Knock On Your Door by: Justine Frankel

He carries his gun,
So strong and so proud,
While way back at home,
She's crying out loud.

He fights for his country,
Does what he thinks is right,
While she's awake worried,
All day and all night.

His head is now shaved,
All he hears is her voice,
Saying "Wish you didn't have to go,
I wish you had a choice".

He had said his goodbye,
Just two months ago,
And that she'd be better off,
If she just let him go.

She clings to his picture,
In her shaking hands,
He's out there somewhere,
Crawling in foreign sands.

She can't let him go,
She's under his spells,
He's running for his life,
Avoiding dropping shells.

More months go bye,
Their hearts feel sore,
All she really wants,
Is his knock on her door.

"I miss you, I need you",
She writes him that day,
He writes back "one month more,
And I'll be home to stay"

That knock on her door,
Came a day early by two,
They handed her his chains,
And a letter marked "To You"

"The decision was hard,
To leave a world that had you,
My love, we were strong,
And that will always be true.

"My country, they needed me,
But you needed me more,
I'm sorry I'm not there,
To knock on your door.

"I thought about you each day,
Dream't about you each night,
But it had been time,
To make my final plight.

"So wipe off those tears,
Please baby, don't cry,
From your fallen soldier,
I love you, goodbye".