Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Perception of Normal

Today something really inspired me to write.
I have a friend that I've known a long time who was always pretty crazy, but thats why we got along so well. As most relationships do, we've drifted apart and back together, but thats not really important.
What's important is that about a year ago we reconnected and she is the same as shes always been, child-like immaturity that I loved about her stayed the same, she didn't change a bit and I really respected and liked that about her. Tonight I was with a friend (who knew her) and he asked me how she and I came to being friends again, so I explained the story and after had said that shes the same way she used to be. He cringed, and so did the other person I had been with. She was the type of friend who played video games, read comics, did cosplaying and marched to the beat of her own drum. Although a little crazy, she is a sweet and caring girl, she's funny, she's fun to be around, and she's a loyal friend, so I see nothing wrong with her. She is a gamer, like many of my friends, and I find her totally cool.
What bothered me is the people I was with weren't at ALL like her, or me, as a matter of fact, or any of my other friends. This girl said to me "shes not normal" and thats when I got really angry and ended the conversation, changed the topic, because I don't enjoy listening to people talk shit about my friends.
As I got home I knew I needed to write this because I felt extremely uneasy about not sticking up for my friend, about not saying anything.
I mean, what is NORMAL anyways? Its one thing to say "I don't like her" or something like that, because thats an opinion of yours, you don't have to like her. But what makes her less normal than anyone else? Because she's not into the same stuff you are? Because she has interests in cosplay and in anime, just like they have interests in gossip girl and fashion? Because she's a little crazy and outgoing? I mean if they didn't like that, they wouldn't even be my friend. I know well enough that either of those people never took a chance to even be friends with her, they just marked her as weird from the get-go, without even getting to know her. I have so much respect for people who aren't shy, who don't let the opinions or thoughts of others get in their way. I am proud to have a friend like her, but I'm not proud to have friends that could insult another human being like that. She didn't do ANYTHING wrong, she's just different.
To be honest, shes not that different. I mean if you think shes weird, tell that to the other thousands of people at comicons.. All of my friends from gamers club at abbott think that YOU'RE weird for the things you do, but I can tell you not in a MILLION years would they call someone "not normal", or reject anyone from hanging out. Some of the best people I know are people who would be branded as "not normal"...
I mean me, IM NOT NORMAL.. I dance around in my underwear to the beatles almost every day, I take HOURSSSS to prepare the littlest things like a birthday card or even just a poem. I talk to my teddy bears that I sleep with every night. once i give something a name, i am immediately attached to it as if its a real person, and i refuse to sleep with socks on. i write rhyme poetry when i feel angry, and i find bologna and peanut butter tastes weird but good together, just like ketchup and cucumbers. I AM WEIRD, I AM "NOT NORMAL" and im damn proud of it.

i know this is classic relativism, but normal is all about everyones perception. what you think is normal may not be normal to others. a serial killer whos sick in the head (this is an awful example what am i thinking) will believe that what he's doing is normal, although we're all like wtf. so yeah that example sucked but i mean things like what happened today about my friend, shes totally normal, i think its the people who have to spend their time making others feel bad isn't normal, its mean and its unfair and its unjust. before you judge someone, get to know them. obviously you hear that all the time, but seriously, get to know people, you'll be very surprised at what you learn and who you meet, the strangest of people can make the best of friends, and maybe you'll see you like what they do, and they might like what you do..

yeah, i don't like when people insult my friends, it makes me feel very bad that im sitting around listening to this, so forwarning, if you dont like one of my friends, feel free to tell me and we can talk about it, but when you start ripping on the people i care about without mercy, im not going to sit around and listen to that crap. I'd rather be around people who are more accepting.

thanks for listening yeo
sincerely, jus.